Sunday 6 April 2014

MY MOTHER'S TEA TIME FAVOURITE


Mum loves Rock Buns.  She calls them "lock bun". If I haven't made them for some time, she would remind me that I still have dried fruits in the fridge. "Don't you think they'll be perfect for making "lock bun"?" she would ask hopefully. 

I first learnt to make Rock Bun back in my secondary school days.  When I practise making them at home they turned out as hard as stone, which led my mother and my aunt to comment that its name truly befits it! 


ROCK CAKES
Adapted from this recipe by Dan Lepard

Makes 15

225 grams all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
75 grams caster sugar, plus extra to finish
Finely grated zest of 1 lemon
175 grams dried fruit, chopped
125 grams unsalted butter, cut into cubes
1 medium egg
About 25 ml milk
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
A good pinch of salt

Preheat your oven at 200 degrees C. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper.

Put the flour, sugar and baking powder in a bowl, add the cubed butter and rub it through evenly. Stir in the lemon zest and dried fruit.

Beat the egg with the milk in a jug or another bowl, along with the vanilla extract, then pour the egg mixture into the dry ingredients and mix to a stiffish but spoonable dough – add a dash more milk, if you think it needs it.

Scoop egg-sized dollops of the dough on to the pans keeping them rough looking, and sprinkle with caster sugar. Bake for 15 - 20 minutes, until just turning golden brown.

Enjoy!

No comments:

AU REVOIR

French Kiss by Huebucket I wish you bluebirds in the spring To give your heart a song to sing And then a kiss, but more than th...