Monday 21 May 2012

GREETINGS FROM THE LAND OF SMILES




This is probably my 5th or 6th trip to Bangkok.  Yet each visit is better than before.  It was also not my first time at Chatuchak (JJ) weekend market but I manage to enjoy myself every single time.  Sure the weather was hotter than ever before but Tammy and I loved every minute we spent in the City of Smiles. 

We made plans to arrive into Suvarnabhumi Airport on Friday morning and booked ourselves a car to the hotel.  The ride cost us THB1,200 inclusive toll fees.


Our hotel is simply fantastic!  I thought they might be exaggerating when I read on the hotel website that they were just next to the Nana BTS Station but there weren't kidding.  The hotel's back entrance is literally a few steps from the escalator leading up to the BTS.  What's more, the hotel feels brand new, the guest room we had was spacious and equipped with a mini bar, safe, bath robes and slippers and hair dryer.  The room rate included daily breakfast for two and Internet.  For a total of 4 nights, we paid about THB9,200 (S$368 / USD 289) for a twin-bedded room.  Great value for money.

On8 Sukhumvit
Nana Skytrain Station
162 Sukhumvit Road at Sukhumvit Soi 8
Bangkok 10110
Tel: +662 2548866
http://www.on8bangkok.com/

I do think that the aromatherapy body massage just 2 lanes away is worth trying.

King and I Spa Massage
Sukhumvit Soi 12, Bangkok
Tel: +66 2 2525248

And then there's authentic Thai food at Cabbages and Condoms
10 Sukhumvit Soi 12, Bangkok
Tel: +66 2 2294610
Read NY Times article

Although I suspect that the food is laden with fish sauce - despite the fact that the waiter who served us was kind of a snob who fawns upon caucasian customers - even though we were told they had run out of Mango and Sticky Rice, we did like the food at:

Ban Khun Mae Thai Restaurant
458/6-9 Siam Square Soi 8, Rama 1 Road,
Patumwan District, Bangkok 10330
Tel: +66 2 2501952 - 3
http://www.bankhunmae.com/

This is just a quick run down.  Follow my Bangkok adventures in my next few posts.

No comments:

AU REVOIR

French Kiss by Huebucket I wish you bluebirds in the spring To give your heart a song to sing And then a kiss, but more than th...