Sunday 5 July 2009

GIANT RAISINS


On my last evening in Taipei, Alice let me in on a secret: there is a shop in Yong Kang Park that sold Giant Raisins.  I clapped my hands and squealed gleefully, "I want!"  She went around the next day and got me some. I had already left Taipei by then but my co-worker, Jee Sien, remained in Taipei for work. It was through JS that I received these Giant Raisins later in the week.  Not your regular raisins.  They are organic raisins the size of prunes!

It's raining cats and dogs today, the perfect weather to stay indoors and bake.

OATMEAL & RAISIN COOKIES

Makes 24 

1½ cups raisins
1/2 cup rum
200 grams all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
200 grams butter
150 grams granulated sugar
150 grams brown sugar
2 large eggs
300 grams rolled oats

Plump the raisins by soaking them in rum for 15 minutes.

Preheat your oven to180 degrees C. Line baking sheets with parchment paper. Sieve together flour, baking soda and ground cinnamon.

In a mixing bowl, beat butter and sugar together until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Gently fold in sifted flour mixture. Scrape down the sides of the mixing bowl, making sure all the ingredients come together nicely. Mix in rolled oats and raisins.

Using a tablespoon, scoop the dough onto prepared baking sheets. Bake for about 12 minutes. Leave the cookies in the baking sheets for 2 minutes to firm up a bit, then transfer to wire racks to cool completely.

Enjoy!

No comments:

AU REVOIR

French Kiss by Huebucket I wish you bluebirds in the spring To give your heart a song to sing And then a kiss, but more than th...