Saturday 7 January 2012

BOX OF MEMORIES


On New Year’s Day I cleaned out my storage room and rediscovered a treasure box filled with wistful memories – letters from Tammy dating back to 1991, a bunch of cards from friends and ex-colleagues, handmade birthday cards from my aunt and a some photos.


Tammy’s letters were frequent. Sometimes two a month! Cindy sent greeting cards – one for my birthday, one for Christmas – for 3 years in succession. Anna shared photos of her trip to Australia and one of her niece - a smiling toddler in a bathing suit. Just yesterday, I opened an email from Anna and POOF! That toddler isn’t a toddler anymore but a drop-dead gorgeous young woman. Such a shock it gave me!

Going through all the old mail made me miss the days of the snail mail, when queuing for stamps at the Post Office was fashionable. You craft the letter on your best stationery, race eagerly to the nearest mail box to drop the letter inside it.  Then followed by weeks of sheer anticipation. 

Please Mister Postman, look and see
If there's a letter in your bag for me …




They say it’s a sign of old age when you start to feel nostalgic.

No comments:

AU REVOIR

French Kiss by Huebucket I wish you bluebirds in the spring To give your heart a song to sing And then a kiss, but more than th...