Friday 20 May 2016

GETTING TO KNOW YOU: PRECISE PIG PARTS

Last week I came across a recipe, written in Chinese, for Miso Pork that called for 梅花肉。It was rather perplexing not knowing which part of the pig that was!  So I did some research to learn the different cuts of pork.




This evening I asked Mum if she could help me buy 300 grams of 梅花肉 when she goes to the wet market tomorrow.  "There isn't such a thing!" she scoffed.  "You really mean 五花肉, don't you?"  

"No, no!  Certainly not!" I protested.  "五花肉 is the belly.  I don't want the belly."

"Describe it to me," she demanded.  I tried to indicate the part I meant by placing my right hand on my left shoulder, turning my body to show her.

My impersonation of a pig must've been weak because Mum still didn't get it.  (Perhaps it'd help if I had stood on all fours.)  The truth of the matter was, she laughed out loud and cried, "You don't really expect me to perform a charade in front of the butcher do you?"

I then informed her that the pork was to be used in a stir-fry.  She answered, "Oh, you mean 枚肉!" Some light (though dim) at the end of the tunnel at last.

Chilli Crab is now on Instagram !


SaveSave

1 comment:

Miriam Fabregat said...

Hi ChilliCrab :) Such an interesting article!! But I'd like to know more haha. Id really appreciate if you contact me because I'd like to ask you some questions.

AU REVOIR

French Kiss by Huebucket I wish you bluebirds in the spring To give your heart a song to sing And then a kiss, but more than th...