Sunday 27 November 2011

FIRST ATTEMPT AT PIZZA


Last weekend, while I was catching up on Bones Season 5 in my study when the TV suddenly spit "POOF!", gave off a little smoke and blacked out. Since the set was 15 years old its sudden demise didn't come as a shock. Frankly I had looked forward to buying one of those flat screen babies which would allow me to do more than just watch dvd.

While waiting for the new LED thingy to be delivered today I made pizza using the Italian Tipo 00 Flour For Pizza which Tammy bought from il Bel Paese Hong Kong.

What is Tipo 00 flour? Italian flours are classified by how finely they are milled, from the roughest ground "tipo"1, to 0, and the finest 00. There is a tipo 00 flour to suit every baking need – tipo 00 farina per dolci (type 00 flour for cake), per piadina (for Italian flatbread) and per pasta. Then, of course, there’s tipo 00 farina per pizza.




The dough was sticky, sloppy and elastic. A challenge.  I pressed the dough out thin, almost transparent. Even so, it did puff up quite a lot during baking.  Maybe not enough proofing, you think?


7 comments:

Tammy said...

Vow, I just could not believe it, and the whole thing looked so professional. If I have not known you having the fond of bread making, I would have certainly thought that you bought the pizza from a resturant. Having said that the pizza is not crispy enough, I wonder how the one from Italian resturant is made as it is thin and very crispy, just like a biscuit.

emy said...

The specs sound so technical!

I can imagine how tasty the pizza is!

Fun said...

It seems to me that Italians are very serious about that flours, Em. :)

Steph said...

wow, the pizza looks yummy. Next time, we try thin and crispy pizza! :)

Fun said...

We could. Looking forward to our next bake off.

Maki said...

Your pizza makes my mouth water!!! Did you make the extra pizza for your neighbor?
After I heard about your pizza story last time, I wanted to eat homemade pizza very badly. So, I actually made grilled vege pizza...but I purchased pizza crust instead of making it ;-P

Fun said...

Hi Maki, I did give one the neighbouring children and they loved it. If you have a sudden craving or are pressed for time a bought-crust is definitely the quickest answer!

AU REVOIR

French Kiss by Huebucket I wish you bluebirds in the spring To give your heart a song to sing And then a kiss, but more than th...