Wednesday, 2 July 2014


During the last week of May, Tammy travelled from Hong Kong to celebrate my 50th birthday.  It’s hard to believe that more than a month has gone by since!

Right after Tammy returned home, Mom said it was time for a trip to the Pasir Panjang Wholesale Market.  She wanted to pick up some dried seafood for my cousin Mary, who'll be visiting us from Auckland. It was a long bus ride.  Cold too.  As soon as I got home, I came down with fever and stomach flu, and spent Sunday feeling weak and nauseous. 

The weekend filled up quickly with errands to run, and a dreaded trip to the dentist. The hole is now dug - in this Friday’s diary - for wisdom tooth extraction (gulp!) 

Dad needed some sleeveless cotton vests. China’s Swan brand has stopped producing the design that he has been used to all his life. (Downright unpardonable, I tell you!) Last Saturday Mom and I finally found something similar in a small shop in Chinatown. You would think that having found something after a massive search, we’d buy it in bulk but no, we bought ONLY ONE. Only if Dad is happy with it that we were allowed to come back for more.

Dad acknowledged grudgingly the fact that all good things come to pass and he’ll now have to make do with Crocodile brand vests. So on Sunday I again trotted to Chinatown -- to buy two more vests. The shop owner was somewhat surprised that I made two trips to his shop specially to buy just three vests.  "Why don't you buy a dozen right away?" A seemingly fair question to ask of normal folks, except Dad doesn't behave normal.  Trust me,  if Dad says to buy two, you DO NOT buy three. Not unless you want to spoil what's left of your weekend (and the following week too.)

Me thinks Dad is depressed bi-polar with dementia.

Sometimes it's so hard not to quarrel with my mother. When I left for Chinatown on Sunday she told me: Take all the time you want ... have a good lunch in Chinatown and shop around ... no need to rush home, etc. Then at 12:30PM sharp, she calls me: Will you be home soon?


Mom has started on physiotherapy for her leg and back problem. Every Wednesday morning I would accompany her to the hospital, wait for her to finish her session, then go to work. It’s a little bit trying I’ll admit, but as far as I can see neither of us has any choice. 

Cousin Mary is visiting from Auckland this Saturday.  At least now there's something to look forward to!

No comments: