Tuesday 19 November 2019

DUO PERSONALITY


Tonight my father’s second personality came out to play.

Mo Luo Su (摩啰酥)
My grandmother used to buy Mo Luo Su (摩啰酥) when I was a kid. Dad still loves them very much so we would buy them for him quite often. Last Saturday he claimed that he was tired of eating MLS. He has a box on his bedside table that is his cookie jar. I took a peek inside and sure enough he still had 2 MLS left, untouched.

This evening I got Dad some Madeleines for a change. When I opened Dad's cookie box to put the madeleines inside, I noticed that there was only one MLS left. Dad had taken a bite out of it. 

Me: Hey, who took a bite out of your cookie?

Dad A: (chuckles) It was me!

I handed him a madeleine to try.

Dad B: This cake tastes terrible. I much prefer the Mo Luo Su. 

Me: So why didn’t you finish the last MLS? Why did you take a bite and put it back?

Dad B: I didn’t take a bite!  YOU did!

The nursing home staff served Milo and bread.

Me: Eat the bread, Dad.

Dad A: (Shakes his head) I’m still full from dinner. They treated us to Kway Chup!

Me: Was there a braised egg?

Dad A: No.

Me: Was there braised pork?

Dad A: No, they can't afford to serve pork in this place.

Me: How about tau pok?

Dad A: Yes, tau pok. And long beans.

Me: Long beans in Kway Chup?!

Dad A: Yup! The long beans were delicious! 

Me: Ok, so you don’t feel like having the bread now?

Dad A: (shakes his head)

Me: How about the Milo?  Will you have sip?

Dad B: (snorts) Don't be stupid.  This isn't Milo!

Me: Yes it is.  Take a sip.

Dad B: I’m telling you I’m still full from the kway chup. There was braised egg, pork, tau pok and long beans! You’d better take this Milo and bread away or I’m going to throw it in your face!

I hastily removed the cup of Milo and bread.

Dad A: (mutters) I have to keep my money safe. I cannot leave ... to my 2 sons ... 2 daughters ... all good for nothing.

As far as I know, I’m an only child.

Me: You have 2 sons?

Dad A: That’s correct.

Me: What are their names?

Dad A: I don't remember.

Me: Where are they now?

Dad A: They died in a flood.

Me: Seriously?  Are you talking about humans or piglets? 

Dad A: I supposed they were piglets …

Me: (teases him) I think I’m a good daughter, don’t you?

Dad B: (gestures towards the cookie box) Says who?! If you’re a good daughter you won’t be feeding me fake MLS!

Me: They are sponge cakes, Dad.

Dad B: Take the entire box away with you before I smash it!


No comments:

AU REVOIR

French Kiss by Huebucket I wish you bluebirds in the spring To give your heart a song to sing And then a kiss, but more than th...