Monday, 10 November 2014

WHAT A DAY!


Took the day off work to accompany Dad to his first appointment at the Centre for Geriatric Medicine, just one of several medical appointment following his fall in mid-September. Dad is prone to anxiety attacks so a trip to the hospital (or lunch, or the barber’s) is an event.  The clinic specifically requested us to bring along all of Dad's current medication.  A list was made and everything checked twice.  A taxi was booked in advance.  It was as if we were going on a family vacation.  

What a day it was!  First, Dad was reviewed by the nurse followed by an examination by the doctor, a blood test, a 30-minute physiotherapy session, and ending with X-rays. 

I guess with everyone focused on Dad, Mom felt she needed attention too because she came up with several antics:  Mom made me accompany her to the toilet (she was afraid of being locked in); Mom came to me from all the way from Room 19 to where I was speaking to the Pharmacist and informed me that Dad needed to go to the toilet; Mom was thirsty and wanted warm water; Mom needed a blanket;  Mom was hungry and wanted hot chocolate; Mom didn’t think she wanted the blanket after all; Mom said she misplaced the keys to our apartment and there was a frantic search through her (multiple-compartment) handbag.

There are times when I feel that I have two children!

Dad's next appointment date with the clinic:  Dec 4th.  I think I've just about exhausted my annual leave entitlement.

No comments: